BASIC RADIO OPERATIONS:
Keep your Emergency Radio fully-charged at all times! As a Volunteer Emergency Radio Operator, you won't be able to save yourself or your fellow Cobblers if you can't hear 'The Call' when it goes out.
To participate in General CAVERN communications:
-> Set your CAVERN Retevis RT22 Radio to Channel 8
-> Set any GMRS or FRS radio to Radio to Channel 15 (462.550Mhz) (no privacy tone) -> Set any GMRS repeater capable Radio to Repeater Channel 15 (467.550MHz Input/ 462.550Mhz Output) You will hear all General Updates (as well as any Emergency Alerts/Test announcements)
To L (or send)an Emergency Alert (e.g. immediate threat to Cobb area)
-> Set your Radio to Channel 9 (FRS Ch 15 w/103.5 Mhz tone-squelch)
(Use the +/- buttons to switch channels as necessary.)
-> Press the PTT Button -> Say your:
- First Name
- Source of Your Information (eyewitness? someone else?)
- Say alerts s-l-o-w-l-y and Carefully… and eNUNciate!
- Repeat yourself if necessary/asked.
Remember: "Who, Where, What, Source, When, Details."
- Ask others to RELAY info (i.e. strong GMRS stations) to other areas/repeaters for the widest possible coverage.
E.g.: "Emergency… Emergency! FIRE ALERT! This is Dave on High Valley Road. I am eye witness to a fire spreading rapidly at High Valley Rd near Adler Creek bridge. Half mile WEST of Bottle Rock Road. FIRE started about 6 pm… Current time 6:18 pm. Fire is still small, less than an acre. Winds are light. Fire is moving SOUTH. 911 has been called. Please alert people you know in the area. Are there any high powered GMRS users monitoring who can relay?"
RADIO NETWORK PROTOCOLS:
When you press the talk button, start by using a phrase below, then speak your MemberID.
- "Net Control…" (alerts the Network Control volunteer you need to talk)
- "Question…" (to ask a question: wait to be acknowledged)
- "Relay…" (XXXXXXX)
- "Emergency" or "Priority" (use with caution, for alerting others to an Emergency)
- "Break-Break" (ONLY for DIRE Emergencies, used to break into other conversations)
Your MemberID should have been assigned to you when you got your CAVERN radio (if not, ask the person you got it from).
Our FRS radio protocol is to use your MemberID and/or First Name and then as little jargon as possible.
- GMRS operators must give their FCC Callsign:
- at the end of a communication, or
- at least once every 15 mins in a long communication
CAVERN MemberID / Call-Sign Listing: MemberIDs